Wednesday, August 4, 2010

WBW--Yes, I'm still nursing

Now that the twins are a year old, I've been getting two questions: Are you still nursing? And how long do you plan to keep it up? The answers are yes, and I don't have an end date in mind.

The World Health Organization recommends a MINIMUM of two years breastfeeding with continued nursing for as long as is mutually enjoyable. Research shows that the natural age range for weaning is between 2.5 and 7 years with most children weaning in the 3-5 range. I don't know if I (or they) will want to continue that long, but I do know right now it's still mutually enjoyable. So we continue.

One of the reasons I'm in no hurry to wean is that I feel like I'm fulfilling God's plan for my breasts. That may sound silly, but think about it. God designed babies to drink their own mother's milk until they are old enough not to need milk anymore. As previously stated, that is usually between 3 and 5 years old. This is the way He meant it to be. Loving my enemies? That's hard. Reading my Bible consistently? A struggle. Submitting to my husband? No walk in the park. But breastfeeding? This I can do.

I don't know when this ride will end, but I plan to continue to enjoy it while it lasts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful post!