Tuesday, August 3, 2010

WBW--What I've Learned

One of the most important lessons I've learned while breastfeeding my babies is that good things don't have to be all or nothing propositions. I had breast surgery when Smartie was a year old. As a result of the damage to my glands and nerves, I was unable to produce a full supply when Sweetie was born.

Many women in situations like this feel they have to give up. It's either all breast or all formula. I didn't want to give up, though. I knew breast was best and that I wanted to breastfeed this baby, but I just couldn't make enough milk. I did a lot of research. I started taking a medication to boost my supply. With this med, I increased my supply from 25% to 65%. I bought an at-breast supplementor so all her feedings could be at the breast even if it wasn't all breast milk. I was able to have a successful and rewarding breastfeeding relationship despite my circumstances.

I won't lie--it was hard work. I mourned the loss of the easy, ideal experience that every woman hopes for. I hated having to mix up formula and strap on a contraption instead of "lift shirt, insert boob". BUT IT WAS WORTH IT! Sweetie got the important growth factors and immunities from my 65% supply. She got the oral development from nursing. We both had the unequalled bond of feeding at the breast. Yes, she got some formula, but that was okay.

When the twins were born, I had an even better supply with the help of meds and herbs--110%! This was split between the two of them, each getting 55% of their needs from me. I again nursed with the at-breast supplementor. I wouldn't trade this experience for anything. When I see my sweet nurslings cuddling close for their Nummers, I know all the struggles were worth it.

My support group has a list of mantras we repeat to each other when we're struggling with our low supplies. My favorite is, "Don't stop giving what you can because of what you can't."

1 comment:

Amber said...

LOVE the last line too. : )