Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Body Image

I feel absolutely sick. Smartie was running around doing jumping jacks and such. She said to me, "I'm exercising because I need to get skinny." What did she say?!? I said no, you don't need to get skinny. You actually need to get fatter. She got very upset. "I don't want to be fat!"

I explained to her that we don't exercise to get skinny, we exercise to be healthy. It's important to be at a healthy weight, not too fat OR too skinny.

I am horrified that my sweet, young, UNDERWEIGHT six year old is already dealing with the pressure to be thin. I've made a conscious effort to frame my own weight-loss/exercise goals in terms of getting healthy. I want my girls (and my boy, too) to have a realistic picture of what healthy looks like, not the media ideal. I want them to know that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes. I want them to avoid all the garbage of warped body image and self esteem.

And to add insult to injury, I opened the comics section to see today's Family Circus. Talk about an impossible standard--there's no freaking way that woman has had four children! (And yes, I already sent an e-mail to the artists.) I know, it's just a cartoon. But it's still a glorification of an impossible ideal.

In other related news, we're still waiting for news on the girls' test results. I've called three times, and been told three times they'll check with the doctor right away and call me back. Grr.

2 comments:

Shelley S said...

Good point, Jen! At the first 5K I ran T stood there looking around for a long time and then said, "Mom I don't get it. Some of these people are ALREADY skinny." It made me realize I needed to refocus my exercise talk into 'staying healthy' instead of 'losing weight'.

Brooke said...

Yuck and yikes. One of the scary things about having girls.

On a happier note, I was excited to watch Veggie Tales "Sweet Pea Beauty" (or listen to it while my kids watch it, rather), and it has a GREAT message. We need to counter those lies Satan is already whispering to them with TRUTH until they can do it themselves.

In the meantime, hopefully it's just a phase she is going through and not something she ultimately believes about herself. I'll be praying.