Monday, August 2, 2010

WBW--Getting a Good Start

Many women start out wanting to breastfeed but have the deck stacked against them by the advice and treatment they are given when the baby is born. I find this analogy really telling.

When my first child Smartie was born, the hospital did not follow the Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding. Of course, there were extenuating circumstances (a preemie in the NICU) that made some of the steps impossible. BUT hospital policy prevented me from nursing my preemie despite evidence that preemies benefit from the act of nursing. I had terrible advice from a hostile lactation consultant who refused to leave the maternity floor to help me in the NICU. Smartie came home with a strong bottle addiction that took weeks to correct. It was sheer strength of will that allowed us to overcome our horrible start and successfully breastfeed for 10 months. The fact that we overcame it is one of my proudest accomplishments.

Actually, I have had difficulty nursing all of my children for various reasons--low supply issues due to breast surgery, nursing twins, severe maternal illness during and after birth. But with the proper information and support, I happily nursed Smartie to 10 months, Sweetie to 10 months 1 week, and the twins to 12 months and counting. I would love to see all hospitals give mothers the support they need to get a good start. But I'm proof that even a bad start can be overcome.

2 comments:

Marianne said...

Isn't it amazing that anyone can BF at all with the lack of support and information about BF? Good job with all of your nursing relationships and getting off to a good start!

MoDLin said...

It's a shame you had such a negative experience but good for you for hanging in there and succeeding! Although I do accept that not all women can BF, BF really is best if it's possible.