Tuesday, May 5, 2009

27 weeks!



I am so thrilled to be in the third trimester and still safely pregnant! I do have Pregnancy Induced Hypertension but don't have Pre Eclampsia--yet. I know it could still progress to that, but for now my BP is well controlled with meds and I don't have any other symptoms. Even the symptoms I had a few weeks ago (shortness of breath, URQ discomfort) have mostly disappeared. My PE labs all came back normal, babies' heart rates were good, lots of movement. I know PE can go downhill fast, but it looks like we're going to make it a few more weeks at least!

I also found out today why I've had recurrent PE. I got the results of the underlying-conditions tests, and I was very surprised. I was sure I'd come back positive for primary Raynaud's, an auto-immune disease. Nope, I was negative for auto-immune diseases but positive for blood clotting disorders. After a second round of testing, it's confirmed that I have heterozygous MTHFR a1298c gene mutation. Yep, I'm a mutant!

Of the various types of MTHFR, I've got the mildest version. Besides being a known trigger of PE, it increases the risk of stroke, heart attack, and blood clots, but all of that can be easily managed now that I know I have it. I'll probably need to start taking extra B vitamin supplements and continue with the low-dose aspirin therapy, but for now that's all I need to do.

No comments: