Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Update on Smartie and me

I'm 24 weeks today! Yay! I had another check-up today because my BPs have been spiking almost every evening the last few days. I always get great readings at midday, but by evening they're high again. So I go in, and the nurse gets a reading of 118/76 and says, "Wait, I thought you were here for BP issues!"

My MW got called out AGAIN just before I got there, so I saw the NP again. She went over my BP log and agreed that I was fine at midday but too high at night. So I'm starting BP meds, a single dose in the afternoon to help in the evening but (hopefully) not make it too low during the day. The good news is still no swelling or protein, just an occasional problem with shortness of breath and the evening pressures.

As for Smartie, we've gotten some results back and had more tests run. I haven't spoken to the doctor yet, so I'm not completely sure what the results mean. She shows signs of being allergic to something and/or asthmatic, but all of the specific tests for allergens came back negative. She also had an unusual spike (not sure of what) that they said could be several things but the top of the list is intestinal parasites. So we got a stool sample and are waiting for those results. It certainly would explain her slow growth, though I'm not sure how she would have gotten them.

4 comments:

Shelley S said...

Aren't stool samples fun? We had to do one for one of the kids a few years ago and it gave me a new appreciation for people who work in the labs. Yuck!

Mama Runner said...

I really wasn't sure how Ethne would handle it. She fights urine samples. But she was excited because I let her say Poooooop while she went, which is a very funny word!

Nog Blog said...

That's a good start - glad to hear there are some leads on Ethne's mysterious issues. Hope your new med works out, too.

Kristy said...

You know, Cade lost weight around a year old and we did the testing... he is intolerant of wheat and lactose. Not allergic (all of those tests came back negative) but once we removed milk and wheat from his diet, what a difference. He had chronic diahrea (sp?), and would sometimes cry at night from bloating and gas pains/ his was more intestinal. You've probably thought of all that but just a though. We didn't think of it until another friend mentioned it. There isn't a way really to test for those- we just removed it from his diet so he's self-diagnosed but our doctor concurs with us on it. He wasn't familiar with the wheat-intolerance at all though; we discovered that on our own. Good luck- hope you get it figured out!