Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Honeymoon (Honey15moons?) is Over

Well, after 15 months, the other shoe has dropped. Sweetie has joined her sister in giving me gray hair. It's been so interesting--the two of them are SO different.

Smartie is strong-willed, so we have had plenty of battles of will (the honeymoon was over with her at 10 days!) But she's an introvert like me. We read a book or snuggle for a few minutes, then she goes to play by herself.

Sweetie is much more compliant, which is why we've had such an easy time for the first 15 months. Early on her people needs weren't a problem. I could just sling her on my back and go about my business. But her extrovert personality is really starting to clash with mine. She's not content just to be held anymore, she wants to be on my lap shredding my newspaper, banging on my keyboard, and constantly interacting. I love playing with her, but I need a break every so often.

I can't pass her off on her sister because Smartie's an introvert too. I'm trying to teach Smartie to say, "Mom, I need some space, can you come get Sweetie," instead of hitting. I really don't know quite what to do with Sweetie. She wants to DO things and GO places. She stood by the coat closet one day yelling, "Go ga-bye." For an HOUR! I thought the strong-willed one would be harder, but I'm afraid I can't keep up with Sweetie. She doesn't just need to be active, she needs someone to be active with her. So if any of you have a kid like Sweetie, give me a call. We'd love to have a playdate.

No comments: