Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Pet News Peeves

First some updates: No news on Grandpa. Smartie's doctor wants to wait and see if she gets an infection, so no surgery yet.

Now to my News Peeves: I read in the paper an article in which it was stated: Police believe he may have been speeding. This doesn’t make sense. “Believe” implies being sure, “may” implies being unsure. They’re convinced it’s a possibility? Duh! Better wording would be “Police suspect he was speeding.”

Another pet peeve of mine is when an article uses a word/phrase requiring one number, then giving a range. For example, “We will get at least 8-10 inches of snow tonight.” So which is it, at least 8 or at least 10? If you say at least 8 and get 10, you will still be correct. So why make it a range? It's either at least 8 or between 8 and 10.

I hate it when newscasters report that something like dark chocolate or red wine decreases the risk of death. I’m sorry, but the risk of death is and always will be 100%. Everyone dies. It may decrease the risk of early death or the risk of death from a particular disease, but chocolate eaters and wine drinkers will still die eventually.

Yes, I'm crazy!

2 comments:

Katie said...

you crack me up, praying for your family

Brooke said...

No, you're not crazy! (or maybe I am just as crazy as you?!)... I'll add that to my long list of societal pet peeves... I will mention one here: pointless spelling or grammatical errors. (Meaning, it's one thing if you're just not smart enough or careful enough to do it right.) For example (this is the one that annoys me the most): "Qik N EZ" gas station... This does NOT spell "Quick and Easy" as I believe they are trying to portray... at best, it is "kick 'n' ez," but you know, considering the whole q-u thing, it's not even a word!

okay, yep, I'm crazy. :)