Monday, January 14, 2008

My Blog's Name

We were with some friends last night, and they asked about the name of my blog. "The Cover and Title Page" comes from my favorite passage of my favorite book series, the Chronicles of Narnia. In the last two pages of the last book, the Narnian world has ended and the characters have gone to Aslan's Country (Heaven.) This passage never fails to move me to tears:

...but the things that began to happen after that were so great and beautiful that I cannot write them. And for us this is the end of all the stories, and we can most truly say that they all lived happily ever after. But for them it was only the beginning of the real story. All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story, which no one on earth has read: which goes on for ever: in which every chapter is better than the one before.

So my blog is about my earthly life, the cover and title page, and I look forward to beginning the real adventure some day in Heaven.

(Quotation from The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis)

2 comments:

Jami said...

Hey Jen! I hope Catie doesn't have to have the surgery...poor thing! And I like the name of your blog...I'm sure Megan would have figured it out being a huge narnia fan herself! :)

Have a great day!

Marla H. said...

I love the title of your blog and the reasoning behind it. Andy was telling me about this post and I just felt I had to comment. I love that our life only begins when we get to heaven. BUT we might as well have fun and keep track of what's going on now, right?
My girls have been playing 20 questions lately. One subject they brought up is, "What happens if there is a fire?"

Abby asked one day, "If we got on fire what would happen?"
Katie said a matter of factly, "Well, we are supposed to roll on the ground back and forth."
Abby, "What if it doesn't work?"
Katie said with a huge smile on her face, "We'll go to heaven and become angels."

I just thought WOW! I wish I was that excited about going to HEAVEN, more of the time. I don't know maybe I am the only one that feels like that, but anywho those are my thoughts.