Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Infant Mortality in the United States

Did you know that the United States ranks 29th among the world's nations in infant mortality? Did you know that African American babies are three times as likely to die before their first birthday as white babies?

I just watched a film, Crisis In the Crib, about this issue. (You can watch it here. It's about 35 minutes long.)

This year, our VBS charity was a Healthy Start program for teenage mothers. The information I learned about this program, the video, and my own recent aspirations of becoming a doula are starting to combine in my head. Can God use me in this area? Could I offer prenatal counseling, doula services, and mothering mentorship, especially breastfeeding help, to at-risk women? It's something I'm seriously praying about now.

No comments: