Thursday, May 20, 2010

How do I get from surviving to thriving?

I'm trying. I really am.

It all started yesterday, when the girls asked me if they could paint. Survival Mom said no way, but Nice Mom said why not? The good news: the girls did a great job with the paint, keeping it on the paper and even cleaning their paintbrushes. The bad news: while they were getting out their supplies, they dropped a blob of silly putty on the floor, stepped on it, and ground it into the carpet. (Why was it not in an egg?) So now I have to get some rubbing alcohol to dissolve it and pray it doesn't take the color out of the carpet.

Then I saw my sister and kids was coming to town. Nice Mom/Sister/Aunt invited them to stop by. The "good" news: Smartie wanted to share her toys. So she got all of them out. And piled them in the middle of the floor. Nevermind the fact that her cousins were outside and neither knew nor cared about the toys. The bad news: when I asked her to clean up, she said Cousin should clean them up since that's who she got them out for. (Nevermind the fact Cousin had left an hour earlier.) It turned into a knock down drag out fight. I won, but I'm not proud of my behavior. I had a lot to appologize for. Thankfully, she forgave me.

Then this morning I decided to actually make something for breakfast since the babies had slept all night and I'd had a decent night's sleep. The good news: the babies LOVE cheesy scrambled eggs and had two helpings each. The bad news: the girls wanted bagels instead. And let me know it. Loudly and with tears. Survival Mom took over once again and made the stupid bagels. Evil Mom locked the brats in the basement while Tired and Discouraged Mom took a long soak in the jacuzzi tub. I haven't checked the basement yet to see what kind of state it's in.

How long until empty nest syndrome?

4 comments:

Christa said...

Jen-
I hop on your blog every once in a while, but never comment. I can't leave without commenting. Thanks for the post. I so can relate with just 2 boys. Your post has been my week. Today I have tried putting the boys in front of movies downstairs so that I can just clean. Maybe I should go try the jetted tub also, if I can just keep them downstairs. That part made me laugh!
-Christa Wiegand

Mindy said...

Oh Jen, what a day! Unfortunately I don't have any advice for you because I feel like we're in very similar life stages but I DO understand! I think you are doing a GREAT job with your kids and are a great Mommy!

Ada said...

Jen, it WILL get better one day. I didn't have twins, but I had three babies in 2.5 years so I think I can safely say "been there, done that!"

Anonymous said...

jen -- i know it's hard to believe...in fact, i know you don't believe me right now...but it's much more stressful when they're gone than when they're in the basement. if you ever want to send a kid or two our way for a few hours, let me know. or, i've got a couple bored teenagers that could come relieve/help you. 275-7063. Angela