Thursday, March 12, 2009

Praise the Lord, I'm Sick Again

You may think that title is sarcastic, but I'm actually thrilled to report I have a head cold. And another UTI. This is GOOD NEWS! See, usually in pregnancy the immune system is dialed down so that the body doesn't attack the baby/placenta as a foreign invader, making mamas more susceptible to illness. We suspect the reason I've had pre-eclampsia twice (and possibly both of my miscarriages as well) is because my immune system remains too strong, attacks the placenta, and causes damage that eventually leads to PE. (Not all PE comes about this way, in fact it's a pretty rare version of the disease.)

In the last month I've had influenza, bronchitis, and now a head cold, which quite possibly means my immune system is dialed down at least somewhat. So I'm taking any illness as a good sign that my PE chances are lower than I feared, and if I do get it, it'll be later and milder than I feared. *cough cough* Hurray!

No comments: