Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Eve in the ER

I am 8+ weeks pregnant, and we've known since the day before Thanksgiving. We weren't planning to make an announcement until after my first sono (scheduled for this Monday.) After two miscarriages, I wanted a confirmed heartbeat first. So a Christmas announcement was NOT in the works.

I've been a lot sicker this time around, not as bad as some women I know but definitely worse than my other pregnancies. I've also been utterly exhausted. I couldn't figure out why things were so much worse this time around, although it did give me a good opportunity to "rejoice in infirmities." After all, morning sickness=high hormone levels=still pregnant. Once or twice it crossed my mind that maybe it was twins...HAHAHA, right. We don't have any fraternal twins in my family (the kind that are inherited), and I wasn't taking fertility drugs, so the chances of twins would be very low and completely random.

A week ago, I started feeling a familiar ache on my left side, the beginning of an ovarian cyst. In the back of my mind I was aware that these symptoms could also mean an ectopic pregnancy, which can be very dangerous, but as long as my pain didn't get too bad I wasn't too worried.

Christmas Eve, we were at Papa Runner's parents for a wonderful evening of food, fun, and presents. We were loading up the gifts and rounding up the kids when suddenly I sneezed. It was an explosion of pain. Immediately I started panicking that my tube must have ruptured, and we headed straight for the ER, leaving the girls with G&G for the night.

We had a great doctor in the ER who reassured me that, while I did the right thing by coming in, ectopics usually show up before 8 weeks and I was probably fine, especially with my history of frequent cysts. After a shot of morphine we headed to sono. The tech was so sweet. Right away she said, "I'm not supposed to tell you anything, but it's not ectopic, definitely in the uterus." She also "didn't tell me" that there was a large cyst on the left ovary. What a relief, just as we'd expected.

Then she said, "Were you using fertility treatments?" "...What?" That's what they asked my friend M just before they dropped the T-bomb!

So I was a tiny bit prepared when the doctor came in almost immediately with the unofficial report: not ectopic, large cyst, and by the way, you're having TWINS! We were completely in shock. But, hey, we had not one but two confirmed heartbeats, so we decided to go ahead and announce. It's been fun to see people's reactions. Our families suspected something, so they weren't surprised with news of a baby. But two? WHAT?!?

The shock is starting to wear off and a little bit of panic is setting in. I know we'll be fine, but I'm glad we have six or so months to prepare.

4 comments:

Rena said...

Twins? Wow! I think a few month to prepare will be good. So excited and happy for you & just think, you won't have that dreaded "middle child." ;)

Amber said...

Sounds like a little bit of a roller coaster ride - I'll definately continue to be prayerful. And while I can well understand the whole realm of emotions : ). . .we are sincerely so excited for you! You'll be great with two.

I can remember almost feeling a bit of relief, though, after knowing it was twins as it made sense then for how utterly and completely exhausted I felt. They say that's a huge sign of multiples (and like you said, a likely sign that pregnancy is progressing welL!). Take naps whenever you can and take it easy on yourself!

Kristy said...

W O W!!!!! Congrats, guys! What a bummer, though, that you had that scare on Christmas Eve. We'll be praying for you & your babies!! :) C&K

Marla H. said...

Holy COW!!! CONGRATS!!! There is something in the water here, I think! (haha) We WILL be bump buddies! I am not expecting twins, though! We'll be praying for you!