Saturday, June 28, 2008

Back from Chicago

I'm interested in starting some sort of business in babywearing. I just got back from a fantastic conference in Chicago where I got to take all kinds of classes and try all kinds of carriers. I know that I want to teach, either groups or 1-on-1 (or both). I'm deciding whether to make my own carriers to sell, sell established brands, or just point people to online businesses.

My "How to Teach" class was particularly fascinating. We talked about how a lot of mothers don't want to try babywearing because they've used an inferior brand (Bjorn or Snugglie) or perhaps had a decent carrier but no proper instruction. Their babies were unhappy, they were uncomfortable, and BW was obviously not for them. If they had quality carriers and proper instruction, they and their babies could get all the wonderful benefits this offers. And the benefits are many and amazing.

If you see me out and about in the next few weeks, I'll probably be wearing Sweetie. I may even wear Smartie at times (really, with a good carrier it is completely comfortable to carry an older child, at least for a while). And if neither of them are in the mood to be worn, I may have to wear my weighted doll just for the practice! I'll have Papa Runner take some pics of the various carriers and holds I've learned to share with you.

2 comments:

Nog Blog said...

Good luck, Jen! I'd be glad to hand out any fliers or whatever you might have at my Happiest Baby class.

Amber said...

sounds interesting Jen . . .you'll have to teach us all your newly aquired wisdom!!!