Saturday, July 17, 2010

Our Family Size is "Wow"

I was on my morning run this morning when I had an experience that surprised me. I was wearing my favorite running shirt, the one that says "Run Like a Mother: 26.2 miles of peace and quiet". Someone asked me how many kids I had. I said four.

She said, "Wow!"

And that's when it hit me. I have four kids. Wow!

One kid? People want to know when you're having another.

Two to three? That's pretty standard and expected.

Four to five? Wow.

Six to eight? People look at you like you're a little crazy and say things like, "Are these all yours?"

More than eight, and people judge you. Maybe not to your face, but you know they're thinking how can she meet the needs of so many children and provide quality time and all that stuff.

I've been guilty of it myself, though I try not to. It's not my business how many children people want to have, and there's nothing wrong with having a big family. I just hadn't thought about people's reaction to my own family size until this morning. And you know what? I agree. I have four kids, and it's awesome. WOW!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

We always got the "Are these all yours?" question...

Comes with the territory. :)

Shelley S said...

I usually get the "Are these all yours?" question and the "You sure have your hands full" comment. My personal favorite was the check out girl who bluntly asked "All from the same daddy?" Um... YES!!