Saturday, July 31, 2010

Klop 5K

This weekend is my mom's family reunion. We have a lot of runners in the family, so we decided it would be a good idea to have a Family Fun Run/Walk. My cousin set up the course, another cousin made up swag bags, and a great time was had by all. I think there were 8 runners on the 5K course and another 15 (?) walkers on the mile course. My awesome husband won the run! And my awesome 6 year old won the walk! I, on the other hand, finished dead last. (I'm 100% okay being the Laggin' Wagon. I am the fanny tuck of racers--I bring up the rear. [Hm, that should be my next training shirt!])

As you know, I'm training for a 1/2 Marathon in 3 weeks. Today I was scheduled for 12 miles. I decided to time it so I could do 4.5 early, get to the start line just before the 5K (3 miles), and then do another 4. My first 4.5 were great. I cooled down a bit more than I wanted waiting for the race to start, but the 5K went really well. Even though I didn't stay for the award ceremony, I still cooled down too much between the 5K and my last 4 miles. I did fine until I got to Veterans with two miles to go, and I just couldn't run anymore. I walked another mile to the school, and my legs totally cramped up. I had to call my sister to come pick me up. :( I really don't think the distance or the heat were the problem, it was just the too-long breaks in the middle, so it shouldn't happen on race day. Now I have 2 more easier Saturday runs before Mahomet. I expect to be dead last for that race, too, but that's okay. I'm the fanny tuck!

1 comment:

Amber said...

Jen,

Just had to say I so admire your perseverence . . .I'll be cheering you on from here when you tackle the 1/2. Your girls (and boys) should be so proud of their mamma!