Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Highs and Lows of Body Image

This weekend I saw the highs and lows of body image. On Saturday I went bra shopping, and amazingly enough I was down two cup sizes! I have never, ever experienced shrinkage. This was very exciting to me, because it gives me hope that I might get back to "normal" once the twins wean without going through another reduction surgery.

Then on Sunday, someone asked me if I was pregnant. I'm not. I don't hold any illusions, though. I'm taking a medication that as a side effect causes you to gain weight around the middle. I know I look pregnant, and while I'm not happy about it, I do accept it for now. I'll be able to come off the meds in a few months, and I'm looking forward to getting my body back in shape at that time.

Tonight, Smartie told me I need to start running again so my tummy isn't so fat any more. I hope I'm not giving my girls an unreasonable picture of what beauty should be. I want them to be at a healthy weight, but not obsess about meeting some artificial and unattainable standard of beauty. While I do want to lose a few pounds and get my abs under control, I also want to be happy with being normal. And I want my girls to be happy with themselves, too.

3 comments:

Amber said...

For the record . . .I have never thought you look pregnant (except when you were : ) ). I have some realy nice stories that are similar myself. Those have been moments when I've emotionally remarked to Ryan, "I wouldn't trade my kids, but I would take my pre-baby body back." : ) And yet I'd take it in a heartbeat again for them.

Don't you love kids? My tummy has such twin skin and is so stretched out from carrying the twins, my belly button gets almost completely hidden. Ava actually gets upset when she tries to "find" it. : )

And I think you are showing your girls what a heathy body image is - as even when something may put you temporarily where you don't ideally want to be, you're still caring for yourself, honoring your body and showing them how to tke care of yourself regardless of where your weight may be on the scale.

It's a rollercoaster journey - huh?!

Shelley S said...

Thanks for being real Jen! Body image is a hard thing - especially in today's society where it is in your face at every supermarket line and pretty much everywhere you look. I think you're looking great, especially considering that you've been able to keep up with nursing your twins, raising your girls, selling a house, etc.

P.S. I enjoyed your Letter to the Editor today. Very well written!

Melodee said...

Don't feel bad, Jen! I always thought 9 months to put on the weight means 9 months to take it off . . . well, my twins are over 2 YEARS OLD now! I'm just waiting for someone to ask me if I'm pregnant as it would be "about that time" again! Thanks for being real - we twin mommas have to look out for each other! :)