Friday, December 4, 2009

Potty Training Woes

Sweetie will be three on Tuesday, and she isn't potty trained. In fact, she isn't the least bit interested in trying. I know if I wait long enough, she'll eventually decide to use the toilet herself. I'm also nervous that if I push too hard, she'll rebel. But I'm tired of waiting!

Complicating matters is the fact that I'm still nursing the twins for 45 minutes/feed every 3 hours or so. The few times we've attempted going diaper free, she always holds it until I'm nursing, then has an accident. So it's going to be tricky to time things and put in the effort to get the job done.

We've been talking up her birthday as when she becomes a big girl and uses the potty. Her party is on Sunday, which means on Monday we'll take away the diapers! She's been agreeing with us. Yep, Monday is the day. No more diapers, I'll use the potty. Today we counted down--today, then Saturday, then party day, then no more diapers.

She's thinks for a moment.

"Is that funny?" she asks.
Is what funny?
"That is a joke. I'm going to laugh. HAHAHAHAHA!"

Oh dear.

4 comments:

Laura said...

I wish you lots of luck! I decided to potty train my 2 year old the day before her second birthday when my youngest was just 2 months old. It had to do with cloth diapers that leaked because it brand was a bad one. I couldn't afford new ones and the baby was using the old ones. Here we are 6 months later, exactly. She has very few accidents with pee. She'll have 2 or 3 one week and then go a month with none and then have a bad spell again. She does not poop in the potty. No amount of bribing, coaxing, or anything will convince her that pooping in the potty is the big girl thing to do. But!!! I am SO happy that I did it. It really is easier. In public, she does not have accidents and always says that she needs to go. It is only when we are at home that there is an issue occasionally. I wish you lots of luck!

Amber said...

I'll be thinking of you Jen - I know it can be exhausting but it is so worth pushing through. Ava is about 90% there. We have a great week . . .and then an awful day . . .a great week . . and then (you get the picture). I do fully notice that the less I react to the accidents, the less they occur (so hard sometimes when you're exhausted and it's so not great timing).

Since Katie is so logical - I would think she'd do great with a reward chart or something? Here's hoping she doesn't fight the change too hard for you!

Shelley S said...

I just started with N this week too and I just have to say that in my book potty-training is by far the worst parental responsibility (thus far anyway). I waited a long time to start with him - he's a little over 3 - which posed different challenges than training at 2 1/2. The other ones would just pee all over, all the time, and it was mainly training them to control the muscles. Since he's a little older he already has great control - like he can hold it for up to 4 hours - so if he goes and we don't get to the potty we have to wait another 3-4 hours for the next attempt. We're on day 6 and the last 2 days things started to finally click for him, but we've still got a long ways to go. Pray for me (cause I could use it!) and I'll pray for you to next week. Good luck!

Melodee said...

I didn't potty-train Emma until she was just over 3.5 (this past summer) because of my twin boys and being too busy. Let me tell you - I am GLAD I waited . . . she was potty-trained in under ONE week and has only had a handful (like less than 10 or so) of accidents since then. She still wears a pull-up to bed, but after that first week, she's kept them dry and will even get up on her own during the night to go potty rather than wetting her bed. In my case, the best (and easiest) thing I did was to wait until everything was less stressful for our household as a whole. Sure my sisters/friends teased me for still having a three-year-old in diapers, but they're all jealous of me now! Good luck!