Monday, February 28, 2011

Second Star to the Right and Straight On 'til the Finish Line

I finished the Princess Half Marathon at Disney World yesterday. Disney sure knows how to put on a race! There was something interesting to look at the whole way. There were lots of people in great costumes, including the man in the head-to-toe frog costume with the sign pinned to the back that said, "Prince in need of a Princess! Please call..." My favorite was Princess Leia in the ankle-length white robe, gold utility belt, and buns over the ears. She had to be burning hot but was having a great time.

I had heard there were 17,000 entrants total. There were 13,091 women and 683 men who finished. I finished 11,005th among the women. It was my worst time yet at 3:22:24, but it was a lot of fun. There were a lot of factors for the slow time including the hot weather and crowded conditions, but the one I can control and need to work on is that I started too fast and burnt out. I was happy, though, that I never skipped a run interval. I wasn't really doing this race for time, anyway. It's my next race where I hope to PR.

I would definitely consider coming back to Disney for another race. It's not a race you run for a personal record, but it is a lot of fun.

No comments: