Tuesday, August 4, 2009

BFAR

I'm a contributing blogger for the BFAR website (Breast Feeding After Reduction surgery.) This is my most recent blog entry:

This is hard.

There, I said it. BFing twins is hard. BFARing is hard. BFARing twins is doubly hard.

I adore my children and wouldn't trade them for anything, but every once in a while I think how much easier it would have been if they'd come one at a time instead of together.

It would be easier if I didn't have to worry about moving my arm to latch Twin B and accidently pulling the tube from Twin A. It would be easier if I could nurse lying down and sleeping instead of always getting up in the night. It would be easier if I could let Sassy sleep until she wakes instead of having to wake her when Monkey wants to eat. It would be easier if I had 50% supply for one instead of 25% for two.

But I do what I do because I don't have a choice. I've been blessed with twins, and I WILL bless them with as much milk as I can give them. I just do it. And it really does get easier as we go.

--------------------------

Today is my due date. Monkey weighs 7lb 8oz, Sassy weighs 6lb 13oz. Wow, just think if I'd made it this far!

4 comments:

Amber said...

You're Jen - it IS hard . .. but I think it sounds like you've done amazing with persistence an dedication.

And know that you ARE on a slight "homestretch." It was a little before 2 months that I felt like the nursing hit much more of a stride - they were bigger (so they weren't falling off so easily) and just more "professional" at it (and you're getting just a bit more sleep. : ) ).

keep up the great work! : )

Amber said...

I meant to say . . you're RIGHT jen. : )

Melodee said...

Jen -

You're doing really great!!

My boys were 7.1 and 6.8 at birth but I started formula (plus nursing) right away. I would bottle feed one and nurse the other and then switch them at the next feeding. And, I tried to get in as much pumping as possible. I also mixed breast milk and formula to make it go further.

I finally gave up nursing at around 4.5 months and just did formula. It's so much easier - but I wish I would have persisted at nursing since it is so much better for the babies.

Keep up the great work and it does get easier as time goes by!!

Stacey said...

You're doing a great job Jen! We all admire you so much for what you're doing. I can't imagine having two at one time much less BFARing two (and taking care of you, your husband, and the girls).

You're a super mom. Things will get easier, as they always do -- in time.

You're giving G & R a wonderful gift of mother's milk. Have you calculated how many ounces of milk you've produced over the last month? Sometimes it helps us to see the bigger picture and see that we've contributed a lot of milk to those tiny bellies over the course of time rather than the small amount we can give in one sitting.

HUGS - you're doing great!