Wednesday, August 27, 2008

One month ago...

One month ago tomorrow I got the confirmation I had known was coming--my baby is dead. It seems strange to be writing this, and yet I also think it's strange that our culture keeps miscarriages a secret. In the time it took for me to realize the stick had turned pink, I was already completely in love with this precious, beautiful life growing within me. It's crazy to think a grieving mother should smile and pretend everything is okay just because the child hadn't been born yet.

I was only seven weeks along, had known for about three and a half. I never got to hear a heartbeat or feel that first fluttery movement. I didn't get to find out the sex (although I have a strong instinct it was a boy) or see if he looked like me or favored his daddy. I never got to put him to my breast, hold his hand as he walked, help him learn to read, teach him to pray. And that's exactly what I'm grieving. All those moments, big and small, the hopes and dreams, have been taken from me.

I have been through this before, between the two girls, and I know I'll be okay. I just need to get some of this out of my head so I can process it a little better. That's enough for tonight, but don't be surprised if there's more later.

11 comments:

Amber said...

Jen,

Thanks for sharing from such a deep part of your heart.

Know I'll be praying.

Rebekah said...

Jen,
thank you for your vulnerability. I too don't quite understand why so many mothers have to grieve in silence and secret when they lose their little babies.

I will be praying. May God bring you comfort.

Anonymous said...

Jen,
I cried as I read your blog. I am praying for you.

Marla and Rob said...

Being willing to share takes courage and strength. Thankful that God has provided that for you,and know that He will continue. Praying for you.

Mrs. Hany said...

Jen I will be praying for you and to heal the hurt inside.

Ada said...

Jen - I rarely check in to your blog, but did so tonight. Sorry to hear this news and I will pray for you.

Mindy said...

Oh, Jen. How sad. Thank you for sharing and being open with how you're feeling so that we can pray for you. Praying that God can comfort you at this time...

Tater & Haley said...

Thank you for sharing Jen. Praying and lots of love to you.

~ Haley

Brooke said...

Jen, praying for you... love you.

Janel said...

Jen...I don't know you...I'm a blog snooper:), but I just wanted you to know I'm also praying for you! I went through the exact same thing 3 weeks ago. I was 7 weeks along and know how you feel. Sometimes I question how this could happen a second time (I miscarried once before my daughter)but I Know that all thing work together for good! Thanks for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

www.namesinthesand.blogspot.com

Don't know if you're interested. Be sure to go all the way to the bottom of the blog page and read about miscarriages.

A friend